Cactus League Luncheon set for Feb. 19; kicks off 2019 Spring Training Season
The 2019 Cactus League luncheon, featuring the induction of the latest Cactus League Hall of Fame class, is set for Tuesday, February 19 at Grand Canyon University Arena in Phoenix.
“The Cactus League luncheon signals the start of spring training, and we congratulate the 2019 Hall of Fame class,” Cactus League President Jeff Meyer said. “We thank the Arizona Office of Tourism for its support of this event and Grand Canyon University for hosting.”
Fans are invited to attend the annual Cactus League luncheon, which will run from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Tuesday, February 19 at Grand Canyon University Arena, 3300 W. Camelback Road, Phoenix. The luncheon will feature the induction of the 2019 Cactus League Hall of Fame class, presented by the Arizona Spring Training Experience (some inductees may not be present):
• Ken Griffey Jr., Hall of Fame outfielder and American League MVP who played for the Seattle Mariners, Cincinnati Reds and Chicago White Sox
• Robin Yount, Hall of Fame shortstop and two-time American League MVP who spent his entire 20-year career with the Milwaukee Brewers
• Fergie Jenkins, Hall of Fame pitcher and National League Cy Young Award winner with the Chicago Cubs
• Roland Hemond, three-time MLB Executive of the Year whose nearly seven-decade career included stints with the Milwaukee Braves, California Angels, Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles and Arizona Diamondbacks
• Bobby Freeman, who has served as the Arizona Diamondbacks’ organist at Chase Field since the team’s inception
Jerry Colangelo, former Managing General Partner of the Arizona Diamondbacks, will also participate in the event.
Two days after the luncheon, the 2019 Cactus League season begins on Thursday, February 21 and runs until Tuesday, March 26 at 10 ballparks across Maricopa County.
Surprise Stadium opens the 2019 season on February 23 with the city’s Spring Training home teams, the Kansas City Royals and Texas Rangers, facing off at 1:05 p.m.