City of Surprise,
Mayor Skip Hall – CM Roland Winters – CM Nancy Hayden – CM David Sanders – CM Patrick Duffy – CM Ken Remley – CM Chris Judd
Public Meetings and Public Hearing Rules Individuals wishing to address the City Council on specific items, during public hearings or at the Call-to-the-Public segment of the City Council Meeting shall be required to abide by the following rules:
1. Citizens wishing to be heard will be required to fill out a speakers request form and turn it into the City Clerk prior to the time the issue is called by the Mayor.
2. Staff will make opening comments describing the issue, providing details and staff recommendations to the City Council.
3. Parties to the action will be provided up to 10 minutes to present their request and position.
4. The Mayor will open the Public Hearing to the general public.
5. Each individual will be allowed to speak only once on an issue. Each speaker will be restricted to three (4) minutes (May be adjusted to five (5) minutes by the Mayor if number of speakers is limited and time permits). Mayor will announce any time adjustments at the beginning of the hearing. Organized groups with one spokesperson may be allowed double time by the Mayor, time permitting.
6. Speakers will go to the microphone, give your name and address for the record. You will be required to complete your statements prior to the Council or Staff responding. This will assure the speaker their full time. Should the speaker ask questions, the questions will be responded to following the completion of this statement and as directed by the Mayor.
7. Speakers and members of the audience will not be permitted to enter into verbal exchanges during this period of time. All questions should be directed to the Mayor/Chairman.
8. Council members and staff may ask questions at the conclusion of the statement. An additional two (20 minutes will be permitted for this action.
9. The party to the action will be permitted five (5) minutes for rebuttal and a closing statement.
10. Respect the rights of the parties speaking whether you support or disagree with them. Parties falling to abide by these rules will be removed from the Council Chambers.
11. Personal comments are excluded: The Mayor and City Council will not accept comments of personal nature about any individual or group of individuals during council meetings since such discussion is not part of the business of the City. Persons making such comments may be excluded from the meeting.
12. People wishing to express personal views about individuals or groups of individuals may do so in writing by submitting your statements to the attention of :
City Manager and/or the Mayor Surprise City Hall 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza Surprise, AZ
Please attach any written materials to be distributed to the City Council. Materials must be received prior to the calling of the issue by the Mayor. If written notes are used during your address, please provide a copy to the City Clerk